SODIS by IOTA-ES

Full Version: Why should SER not be used?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Shortly said, SER (developed for planetary imaging) is simply not made for occultation recording because there are too many chances for issues (and I have seen several problematic SER occ. recordings ...).

The right format is the astronomy standard FITS. Sometimes I heard it would be slow in comparison with SER - from a lot of tests I cannot confirm this. For archiving, the single FITS can be easily compressed into one file using 7zip (better compressing) or zip.

Also ADV I can recommend, QHY174, SC, Tangra, AOTA, PyMovie and PyOTE can work with ADV,

Some background: https://forums.sharpcap.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2237, https://www.iota-es.de/JOA/JOA2020_3.pdf.

An example for SER issues you will find in JOA 2023-2 p. 5, https://iota-es.de/JOA/joa2023_2.pdf.

Christian Weber
Hello Christian,

In the past, I did all my observations with SER, except one time I tried ADVI.
But it was a problem somewhere in the file. So I continued to use SER format.
Last week, I did the occultation of Gyptis, this time with ADVI ... while I saw in the forum and in a document that ADVI-SharpCap problem was solved.

I have one question concerning the processing with AOTA ... it is possible to change the camera.

[attachment=159]

It seems that is has no effect while the time information is coming from Tangra.
I hope that the ADVI time stamp are the same as the QHY-GPS time ... and that all the software understand the same for the time (begin, mid or end of the frame).

Do you have a viewer for the ADV format ?
For SER format, I can use SER-Player or PIPP for some processing.

Regards,
Jean-Francois
(29-03-2023, 17:42 )Jean-Francois Wrote: [ -> ]Hello Christian,

In the past, I did all my observations with SER, except one time I tried ADVI.
But it was a problem somewhere in the file. So I continued to use SER format.
Last week, I did the occultation of Gyptis, this time with ADVI ... while I saw in the forum and in a document that ADVI-SharpCap problem was solved.

I have one question concerning the processing with AOTA ... it is possible to change the camera.

It seems that is has no effect while the time information is coming from Tangra.
I hope that the ADVI time stamp are the same as the QHY-GPS time ... and that all the software understand the same for the time (begin, mid or end of the frame).

Do you have a viewer for the ADV format ?
For SER format, I can use SER-Player or PIPP for some processing.

Regards,
Jean-Francois

Hi,

The format is ADV, not ADVI  :-)

Yes, in AOTA it firstly shows ADVS. I usually choose then QHY174GPS - I think the timestamping is the same.

A player is not, but Tangra and PyMovie play ADV without any problem. If I remember right, Hristo had plans for a player but I know nothing about possible efforts.

Because ADV is a bit exotic I prefer always FITS.

Christian